Valdosta Wrongful Death Lawyer
Skilled Wrongful Death Attorneys Representing Clients in Valdosta, GA
Losing a loved one, especially due to a negligent or intentional act, can be devastating to those left behind. Not only must surviving family members deal with the emotional impact of the death of their loved one, but they often are left with many financial burdens. At The Rodd Firm, a skilled Valdosta wrongful death lawyer can aggressively represent families in wrongful death claims since 2007.
When someone dies at the hands of a negligent or careless party, that person can no longer hold the responsible individual accountable. Family members who are left to pick up the pieces, emotionally and financially, after the death of their loved one may be able to recover compensation from the at-fault party in the way of a wrongful death lawsuit.
What is Wrongful Death?
When someone is injured due to the negligence of another individual, they may be entitled to a personal injury claim against that person. But when the victim dies as a result of that accident or incident, they no longer have that option. Similar to a personal injury claim, a wrongful death claim may be filed against an at-fault party by the surviving family members of the victim when they have suffered financial and emotional losses due to their loved one’s death.
What is the Purpose for Wrongful Death Benefits?
After the death of a loved one, the family is often left with significant financial and emotional burdens. Although wrongful death benefits are not meant to compensate for the loss of that person, they are meant to ease the financial and emotional burden of that loss.
Wrongful death benefits can include compensation for the following:
- Funeral, cremation, or burial costs
- Medical expenses incurred by the deceased loved one prior to their death, including medical and hospital expenses, emergency expenses, doctor costs, medical equipment, and other costs associated with the incident
- Lost wages and future expected earnings of the deceased loved one
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of services that the deceased love one provided the family, such as child care, nurturing, and guidance
- Compensation for the pain and suffering they may have had to endure
- Possible punitive damages against the at-fault party
When awarding benefits, the court will consider many different factors, including the financial impact of the loss to the family, the emotional impact, and other factors, including:
- The relationship of the family member to the deceased
- The age and health of the deceased
- The life expectancy of the deceased party
- The wages and future wage potential of that individual
- The ages of any dependents
- Any other benefits that the family has access to
Consequently, a wrongful death claim may be complicated, requiring the skilled representation of an experienced Valdosta wrongful death lawyer.
Who is Entitled to Wrongful Death Benefits in Georgia?
In the state of Georgia, only certain family members may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim. These include:
- A surviving spouse
- Surviving children if there is no surviving spouse
- Surviving parents if there is no surviving spouse or children
- The estate of the deceased brought by a representative of the estate
Depending on the situation, other family members may benefit from a wrongful death claim. If you have lost a loved one due to the careless, negligent, or intentional behavior of another, you should speak with an experienced Valdosta wrongful death attorney to understand your legal rights to benefits.
Common Incidents or Accidents That Can Result in a Wrongful Death Claim
Wrongful death claims are the result of many types of negligence or criminal actions, including:
- Valdosta Car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents
- Homicides or other crimes
- Nursing home negligence
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products and devices
- Work-related accidents
Choosing A Valdosta Wrongful Death Lawyer To Serve You
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligent or criminal conduct of another, contact the experienced Valdosta wrongful death attorneys at The Rodd Firm to understand your legal rights and options. You pay nothing unless we recover compensation on your behalf. Contact us at (229) 415-7777 to schedule a no-cost consultation.